9/24/2013

Parks - The Amusement Park Experience Of A Grownup

The city of Orlando, located in the U.S. State of Florida, is known all around the world thanks to its theme parks. Featuring some of the world's best theme and amusement parks, this tourist destination offers to million of visitors annually the opportunity to take a close portrait photograph with Mickey or see Shrek hugging dad while he waits in line to purchase tickets. The famous Walt Disney World Resort, the Sea World and the Universal Orlando Resort, offer thrilling rides, 3D movies, and all sort of extreme adventures, based mainly on cartoon or movie characters known to us since the time we were kids. But if one does not have kids, is there a reason to spend a small fortune for just a ride?


Well, I wish the answer was a simple yes or no. Allow me to argue before casting a stone. Last Christmas (no, not the one I gave you my heart as Wham mentioned in their famous 80s song) I was visited by my folks who decided to spend their Christmas and New Years vacations in United States for the first time. Since my brother is currently a resident of South Florida, it was inevitable for us to go where the weather conditions would be better. Thus, after taking care of some personal business, I flew to South Florida to join my family and spend my winter vacations in a sunny climate for the first time.

Since my brother was really excited that we were all together again, he proposed a short journey to one or Orlando's theme parks as none of us had ever visited one. We immediately agreed and two days later we drove to discover the Islands of Adventure and jump into the actions of the Universal Studios movies.

To my surprise, I really enjoyed our visit there and although I was really glad to have the opportunity of experiencing yet another of our legendary family trips, I was secretly worried that the whole experience would prove to be a really boring one, apart for myself, for my parents, who I regret to admit are now of a certain age that does not permit them to experience an excitement as a ten year old would. But to my astonishment, my father was the one dragging us from venue to venue, insisting to visit every single place in the theme park -the daily tickets must have been on sale- and was always pointing something new, something fun we should not miss to explore. I will not mislead you by saying that he or my mother decided to get on those "terrifying trains" as they called them, but they did not go up against our determination to ride them again and again or to laugh while listening to our happy screams. So, yes it is true. I really enjoyed my first visit at a theme park. Perhaps I have excuses, like the fact that I have not seen my parents or brother for a long time, or that I was under tremendous stress for more than six months and this was my first chance to let myself again relax and enjoy the ride.

So, regardless if you are accompanying your nephew or daughter, you should take some time off when you get the chance and experience how it feels to see earth while hanging upside down at 125 feet over the ground ridding the Fire or Ice Dragon as they narrowly pass within inches from each other, on a roller coaster running at a speed of 55 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment