9/21/2013

Family: Married to Vicki, an accountant. Children: Addison, 3; Jaci, 1

Family: Married to Vicki, an accountant. Children: Addison, 3; Jaci, 1.

Q. How did you get into your vocation?

A. My sister worked at a Top 40 radio station when I was young. One guy didn't show up and the manager said, "Hey, do you want to go on the air?" I got the bug. This is the first Christian station for me.

Q. Why a Christian radio station for you now?

A. About six months ago, I wanted to give my life to Jesus. I realized I was doing this for me. I wanted to do it for him.

Q. Favorite part of your work?

A. Either speaking in public, or to people on location. They're the reason we're here.

Q. Hardest part?

A. I don't know that there is. Maybe, communicating with a wide variety of people, when you're only one person.

Q. What do you do to relax?

A. I love golf. It's a small passion of mine. When you have an immaculate course, a bright sunny day, good fellowship with good people, there's nothing better. Golf is spiritual if you let it be. You have a lot of time to reflect what you're living for.

Q. Favorite pastime?

A. Sports memorabilia. I like to read old facts. I have a couple of signed baseballs from Cal Ripken, and a signed pennant from Hank Aaron.

Q. Favorite vacation spot?

A. The Eastern Shore in Maryland. I love Chesapeake Bay and the seafood.

Q. Favorite music? Favorite performer(s)?

A. This is the first time I've done Christian music, and I'm amazed at the amount of talent. I like TobyMac, Casting Crowns and Steven Curtis Chapman.

Q. Do you have a hero?

A. My parents. They've been unbelievable in loving, supporting, caring.

Q. Favorite TV shows?

A. I love TV. I watch House, a doctor show. I also watch American Idol. It gives the contestants a real chance to sing under a pressure situation.

Q. Your most memorable spiritual experience?

A. The night I accepted Jesus Christ into my life. It was during a sermon in a church of about 2,000 people in Indiana. It felt like the only person the minister was preaching to was me. He asked anyone to stand up who wanted to give their lives to Christ, and to start living for him instead of themselves. And I stood up. I felt like I was going to faint. It felt like a release of a thousand years.

Q. Do you have a guilty pleasure?

A. Probably the Golf Channel. I like to sneak away for awhile and watch some.

Q. Who is your mentor? Did one person lead you along in your vocational development?

A. His name is Pastor Rick Farmer, of Morgantown, W.Va. He's an amazing man. He was the first one who talked to me about Jesus, but in a non-pressuring way. We played golf, and it was a couple of months before I knew he was a pastor. He taught me a lot about the Bible and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment