1/19/2012

X20, So Easy to Hit

The X-Series began in 1997 with the Big Bertha X-12 regular and pro versions and was the company's first attempt at reaching out to the player who needed less forgiveness than the Big Bertha irons. The next generation X-14 irons became the best selling irons in Callaway's history.
Along with the great looks though, the weight of these clubs is just about right aswell. Not too heavy or too light, which is something that would probably be important for any beginner or higher handicapper trying out a set of irons.
So after admiring how good the irons looked, it was time to find out the most important thing of all, how the clubs performed, and if they did what they were made to.
As was intended by Callaway, we found that the X-20s were very easy to hit, even the longer irons didn't pose much trouble. Most shots when struck well felt effortless, producing that great feeling that you often get when you strike an iron well.
I've always liked the shape of Callaway irons and had great success with a set of X18 Pro Series a couple years ago. I wanted a set of irons that were easy to play but not bad to look at so I picked up a set of X20's a couple weeks ago. First off, the reports that the X20's are Callaways version of the X18 Pro Series are not accurate. The X20's have a much wider sole, more offset and a larger head than the X18 Pro Series had. But, they're a very nice iron if you're looking for a game improvement iron that doesn't look too clunky. I thought the feel was pretty good, sort of muted and soft, not at all harsh. 

Distance was above average and these irons are very easy to elevate and very, forgiving. There are better options if you want to work the ball but I did find that I could manufacture a draw pretty easily when I wanted. Most of the time I like to hit the ball straight and for that these irons are perfect. I got the stock uniflex shaft and I'm actually pretty impressed with it. Reports are that Callaway is using the "old" Dynamic Gold Lite as their current uniflex shaft. I've played everything in the past from S300 Dynamic Golds to 5.5 and 6.0 Rifles and I found the uniflex shaft to hold up just fine for my swing and I didn't feel like the ball was ballooning at all. Overall I like this iron a lot and I think lot's of us could do worse than to have a set of these in the bag. As the next few weeks go, I'll have a chance to get better aquainted with these irons but so far I'm impressed. 

Read More At http://jessica-bolg.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment